There is a growing body of research, which is now focusing on the food we consume and how it affects our body. If you are having trouble conceiving, you already know how many problems can occur within a normal menstrual cycle. You need to have healthy hormones, eggs, sperm, and embryo to successfully conceive. The food we eat daily like Junk food, Aerated drinks, Fried food, Alcohol etc. affect these hormones, lower the sperm quality and make it difficult to get pregnant.
We have compiled 6 foods to absolutely avoid or limit if you are trying to have a baby:
- Alcohol – Even moderate Alcohol consumption can lower fertility in both men and women. There is a lot of research to prove that men who drink alcohol regularly have lower sperm motility and lower chance of fertilization. In women, alcohol directly impairs egg health as it depresses the adrenal glands and slows the release of hormones. Frequent alcohol consumption also increases the incidence of menstrual disorders.
- Coffee, Tea and drinks high in Caffeine – Multiple studies suggest that caffeine increases the risk of miscarriage. You should limit consumption to 100 mg of caffeine daily. Things to remember: 1 cup of instant coffee has approx. 75 mg of caffeine. 1 cup of tea has approx. 62 mg of caffeine.
- Mercury in seafood and fish – Mercury in water is consumed by fishes and converted into a toxin known as methyl mercury. Choose smaller fish as the build up of mercury is less in smaller fish. Experts recommend that you avoid seawater fishes and consume fresh-water fish like Bangada, Hilsa, Tilapia and pomfret.
- Trans Fat and Sweets – Avoid Fried and Junk Food. Eat at home preferably. Trans fat decrease the body’s ability to react to insulin, which results in irregular ovulation.
- Meats – please make sure that meats are fully cooked before consumption. Avoid smoked or raw meats like Steaks, Sushi, Salami’s as they carry many types of bacteria harmful to egg development, embryo and fetus.
- Smoking – Smoking is harmful to both male and female fertility. In women, smoking affects the way uterus responds to the egg. Smoking in women increases the chances of Infertility by 30%. In Men, Smoking reduces sperm production and damages DNA. We advice you to quit smoking if you are trying to conceive.